Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Unca Mark's Bookshelf

I read probably more than is healthy. Really. If I didn't spend so many hours with my nose in a book, I could be out doing Other Things that might require the burning of calories. I remember as a young boy, my frustration at not knowing how to read. I just knew there was a whole world out there that I was missing out on. Before I had even started in the First Grade, I can remember my dad helping me sound-out the various symbols on the side of a Scotch Tape dispenser. Okay, that episode ended in tears, as I never got "tapee" right for "tape" but it's still a pretty good illustration and reminds me that sometimes teaching isn't easy, either. Still, I love to read.

From the very beginning, I have bought computer books and Web books. But I probably acquired four or five Web books for every computer book that came in the door. The discipline is just so broad and requires so many skills and I found myself lacking in… most of them.

Molly Holzschlag on (X)HTMLI knew good design from bad when I saw it, but I didn't have the knowledge or tools to explain why this or that page was better than the next. I didn't know the language of Design. I could tell you this page made me feel happy and that one angry, but I didn't know how to talk about color. I understood there was too much Green in this photo, but I didn't know to adjust it, in Photoshop.

I had to learn the HTML markup language. I had to learn page-editing software like Dreamweaver. I had to learn image-editing software like Photoshop. I had to learn Design. I had to learn a little bit about a whole range of subjects, and I'm happy that I did. I am really glad that I don't have to spend the rest of my life looking at just some subset of the whole, like Navigation. Instead, you have to know something about nearly everything.

I learned HTML from three women: Molly Holzschlag, Laura LeMay and Elizabeth Castro. Molly wrote a giant HTML reference and then another covering XHTML, and finally a third toe-breaker that combined the two languages, Special Edition Using HTML and XHTML. Laura LeMay has a similar volume, which is also available in hardcover, as Sams Teach Yourself Web Publishing with HTML and CSS in One Hour a Day. And finally, I have owned several editions of Elizabeth Castro's HTML, XHTML, and CSS, a Visual QuickStart Guide.

Some of you may be asking if you need three books, and the answer for you is, probably, no. I got three because I loved to read and at the time I was learning all of this stuff I was primarily a freelance magazine writer working overnights when I had no access to any other help—everyone I knew was asleep at the time. But I had noticed that different authors will often explain the same thing in different ways. If one confused me, the odds were good that reading another would clear things up.Elizabeth Castro's HTML Book

If I had to pick only a single book, it would probably be Castro's. Some of the illustrations are a little small—an entire computer screen reduced to three inches across—but the information is solid, and delivered in nicely-sized chunks with very good explanations.

We'll talk more about my bookshelf, I'm sure. But there is other reading, too, if you're interested. I hope to spend some time soon talking about my favorite magazines and Web sites. If you have a resource you are happy with, why not share it with the rest of us?

No comments: